Saturday, December 1, 2007

All, 
lovely to see you all last night, and I hope you enjoyed the movie.
Quite a remarkable sense of "palette," the world as audible, articulate
(which is also to say I like your idea, Terry, of "the daily palette."

That's somewhat behind my idea of The Sense Account, which is my
nominee for a theme. There's a lot embedded in the idea--making
sense (start making sense!) of our fraught and fragile world; accounting for/
counting up, the senses; narrativizing our sensory apparatus, the "story of our
senses"; and taking stock, in a daily sense of our sensory record.

The calendrical possibilities are rich, too--how we might, as a group, publish,
say here on our blog and in the show, a "day book" of our sensorial worlds
and words. It's a longtime obsession (see my book DaZE), and something
behind the poem "the sense account," which is from a new project called
SPOOL. 

"What are days for? / Days are where we live"--Philip Larkin

I'm posting the poem below. Also go to matthewcooperman.com for various
links to Accidental Vestments activity of the past.

Allons!

Matthew




1 comment:

Nikki Arnell said...

My apologies for falling into the more literal, but the idea of senses is great seeing as how we all need to be more aware of not favoring one over the other ALL the time in our creative work.

2 more things: I really truly enjoyed (if I say the word "loved" I sound like a Fan Club) the poem. Also, "calendrical" is a word that truly makes me happy. Well done. ?